Sunday, March 4, 2007

how baseball changed my life

When I was young my father taught me the game of baseball. I grew up liking the game, but thanks to a coach in high school, I now love everything about it, from catching a pop up to how the dirt crunches beneath my cleats. My attitude, respect, and overall skill for baseball arose while I was in high school. I am eighteen years old and have been playing baseball all of my life. I always was a starter in recreation league, and middle school. I never felt I needed to try too hard because I honestly did not respect the game of baseball. So coming up through the different leagues, I just played hard enough to enjoy the game. I used to not care if we won or lost, or if I got better or worse. I was only concerned with one thing: me being happy. Soon, I finished eighth grade and went to play high school baseball, a league very different from all the recreation leagues. I made the junior varsity team, which was not hard to do at all. At the junior varsity level I kept to my old habits of not working hard. For two years I played junior varsity with the same talent I had in middle school, not bettering myself in any way. At the beginning of my eleventh grade year, my whole outlook on baseball changed, I felt baseball was now my career. My varsity baseball coach, Bob Polewski, was also my first period physical education teacher. Coach emphasized to me that it was going to be extremely hard to make the baseball team. When I asked him what he meant, he told me that I was not dedicated enough to play the game of baseball. Coach told me that if I wanted a spot on the Varsity team, then I would have to work harder than I ever had before. He told me very bluntly that I was not a second baseman, however second base was the only position I had ever played. I was not comfortable playing any other position. Coach told me that the only open position was third base. In baseball a third baseman is often a power hitter and often leads the team in numbers. I decided to dedicate myself and learn to play third base, because I now wanted to make the team immensely. I was going to make the team. To become stronger, both mentally and physically, I acquired a membership at the gym, working very vigorously. In the off season, I not only ran cross country to stay in shape, but I also joined the swim team. On the weekends, I played baseball for a tournament team, playing only third base. I worked my butt off because I was determined to make the varsity team. At them age of sixteen in the eleventh grade, I realized that Coach Polewski had changed my outlook on baseball drastically. I was no longer a person who had lack of respect for the game and only cared about my enjoyment. I became a person who desired to make the varsity team, helping them to win a championship. Mentally and physically right before baseball season, I was at twice as strong as I was the previous year. As a junior, I became much more confident in my defensive and offensive skills on the baseball diamond. My heart was now focused on the game, my mind was determined that I was going to play, and my body was in the best shape of my life. I was ready for tryouts even though I had already been told that there was no place for me on the varsity baseball team. Finally tryouts rolled around and I was ready for them. I was trying out for the third base position and tryouts lasted for two weeks. After two weeks I found out that I made the team and I was extremely happy. Unfortunately, when the games started, I did not start at third base. Instead, I started as the designated hitter every game. While it was the worst season of my life, it was also the best season of my life. Our team had a record of 22-6 and we advanced to the state playoffs. That year taught me many things that made me a much stronger person. At the end of the year, Coach Polewski said he was proud of me for stepping up and putting all my potential forward, however I would have to work in the off season getting better if I were to start at third base my senior year. During my summer break, I continued to play baseball and strive to achieve my over all goal; playing third base. So I continued my off-season training, going to the gym, and running cross country and swimming. When my senior year for baseball came around, I was once again stronger, better, and ready to play. Tryouts for the team were in February and I made the team again. When the games started, I was the starting third baseman, hitting in the clean-up spot. The first game of the season I hit my first varsity home-run. Soon after that I hit another home-run. After only six games I had hit two home-runs and had a four hundred and forty batting average. I was leading the team in both categories. Unfortunately in the seventh game of my senior year against Greenbrier High School, I broke my ankle. What I had worked so hard to achieve was taken away from me so suddenly, all because of an injury. I was devastated. Everything I did over the past two years was in preparation for that season. Suddenly, it seemed all my work was for nothing, and now meant nothing. However, I soon realized that Coach Polewski taught me to love the game of baseball. I realized that I was not ready to give it up, I wanted to continue playing. Soon afterward, I graduated high school and my ankle finally healed. I had already had my mind set on baseball. So, in my search for a good college, I was also looking for a school with a good baseball program, which is why I chose ABAC.

No comments: